The director of Oscar-nominated 'Summer time of Soul' shares considered one of his most shocking (and amusing) moments amid the doc's stellar run.

Since its triumph at Sundance in 2021, Questlove’s documentary Summer time of Soul (… or, When the Revolution Might Not Be Televised) has loved success after success. The movie was picked up by Searchlight and has gone on to snag wins on the PGAs, BAFTAs and Spirit Awards, amongst different encomiums. When requested by THR to pinpoint his most significant second or encounter of the movie’s run to date, Questlove didn’t hesitate.
After his Sundance win, his telephone was lighting up and he barely checked the quantity earlier than answering. “The telephone rings and I’m questioning the place my Postmates man is with my meals. So [the caller] is like, ‘Hey?’ And I used to be like, ‘Yo, come [to this] flooring, I’ve been ready for you.’ He’s like, ‘Huh? Wait.’ I mentioned, ‘Postmates?’ ‘That is Barry. Wait, do you suppose I’m your Postmates?’ And I used to be like, ‘Huh?’
I regarded on my telephone and there’s all these [texts saying], ‘The president’s going to name.’ I completely missed that. I had a stomach snigger.”
Throughout the identical Questlove dialog, on the blue carpet on the current Spirit Awards, the multihyphenate additionally shared dish on one other shock encounter. “Final evening, I went to considered one of my favourite hole-in-the-wall sushi spots, and, one after the other, every member of the solid of Euphoria walked in,” he detailed, not specifying actors by title. “I used to be like, ‘Yo!’ I used to be doing my finest to not freak out. After some time, [Dominic Fike] circled. He’s a musician I actually respect, so I sort of eased my means over to the cool child’s desk for half a second.”
Questlove cherished the second as a result of he’s such a giant fan of Sam Levinson’s HBO hit. “It’s a painful watch,” he mentioned, joking that it’s in all probability the world’s finest contraception. “However it’s actually vital. … It’s like something that emotionally includes you to that stage — [you] actually cherish it as a result of good artwork is few and much between.”
A model of this story first appeared within the March 23 situation of The Hollywood Reporter journal. Click on right here to subscribe.