Cuban-born UPS driver whose reaction to first paycheck went viral says he feels "grateful"

A UPS driver went viral after his spouse filmed him opening his first paycheck in the US. Yoel Garcia informed CBS Information he was so excited as a result of he might barely fill his fridge earlier than immigrating from Cuba.

He stated generally he solely had two issues in it: "Water, water, water, 5, ten eggs, water."

Now, he lives in Phoenix, Arizona, and his fridge is full. With the vacations coming, he informed CBS Information he is "grateful" to be within the U.S. 

"I do know it is tough," he stated. "I do know since you want a job. You could work, it is arduous...however ultimately, you go to your own home, you might have meals." 

The endearing video of him exhibiting off his first paycheck has tens of millions of views, along with his "American dream" second resonating with each Individuals and immigrants alike. His spouse, Marissa Garcia, who has been documenting his journey on social media, recorded the video.

"That is my first hourly paycheck that I really feel each hour counted," he stated within the video. "That each hour of labor has significance in my life and that I do know I can work arduous for one thing. I am unable to examine that emotion with something. As a result of I by no means had that in my nation." 

He informed CBS Information it is a second he'll always remember. 

"When you might have this for the primary time, your head explodes and say, 'Wow, it is stunning,'" he stated.

Earlier than he got here to the U.S. in 2021, Garcia was a pc science instructor in Cuba, incomes $12 a month. He lamented how far forward the U.S. was within the discipline. 

Garcia met his spouse, who's Cuban-American, after they had been younger and nonetheless dwelling in Cuba. She'd typically inform him concerning the realities outdoors of Cuba, which she believed was held again by its Communist occasion. They finally married and had been confronted with a call: keep or go to the U.S.

Garcia stated he informed his spouse: "We would like a future, we would like a household... wherever you go I am going."

He got here to America on a Okay-1 visa, and when he obtained his work allow, he utilized for a job at UPS. The corporate informed CBS Information he began in late October and has been making deliveries since. 

The CEO of UPS even despatched him a letter and care field. 

"This story actually warms our hearts, and we're pleased to have Yoel on our group," a UPS spokesperson stated in an announcement. 

Garcia is making greater than he ever did in Cuba, nevertheless it's about greater than that for him. 

"I by no means had this a lot cash in my arms from my effort, from my sweat, and it hurts that tens of millions in my nation and different nations cannot have that," he stated. "And being right here, you will get it in a dignified method."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post