Tyler Alvarez talks the nostalgia issue of 'Blockbuster' and divulges the 'American Vandal' star he would need to see on the present in season 2.
For millennials and older generations, Blockbuster outlined our Friday nights. Blockbusters have turn into all however out of date within the period of streaming, however the Netflix sequence Blockbuster is giving viewers main throwback vibes. “It’s an enormous love letter to Blockbuster and the era. That point was an enormous staple of individuals’s lives,” Tyler advised HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY.
The sequence follows a group of peers working the final Blockbuster Video in America. While you watch the present, it’s an immediate nostalgic kick seeing the shop and the Blockbuster uniforms. For Tyler, moving into the Blockbuster set for the primary time was fairly the expertise.

“That was a second for me. We’d received to Vancouver, and we had been doing pre-production and the units had been being constructed, so it wasn’t all completed but. Each time I’d come to set to do a becoming or desk learn or one thing, I’d be like, ‘Is it prepared?’ I’d all the time go into the stage to try to see if I may see it, and it was by no means prepared,” Tyler defined. “After which I bear in mind the primary second when it was prepared, we walked in and I used to be like, ‘Oh my God. It’s actual. It’s right here.’ With the costume, they had been very particular about it. We needed to be correct. I believe Blockbuster was very particular. Like, it's a must to put on these garments. They had been very eager on us precisely dressing and never making it our personal costume.”
Tyler performs the movie-obsessed Carlos, who desires to turn into Hollywood’s subsequent nice director. Carlos and his dad and mom are immigrants, and Tyler was drawn to Carlos’ battle to need to make his dad and mom proud and pursue his goals. “They've these visions and goals that they need you to pursue, and also you may need goals of your individual. However it’s this fixed battle of like, do I do what makes my dad and mom pleased and please them? Or do I'm going off and make a path of my very own?” Tyler mentioned about Carlos’ journey.
Carlos can be bisexual, however his sexuality isn’t the principle supply of storyline for the character. Tyler thanked creator Vanessa Ramos for her strategy with Carlos. “It’s only a piece. We talked about it in a single episode. It’s not like, ‘Oh, I’m bisexual.’ I really feel like lots of occasions that turns into a defining second, just like the defining piece in regards to the character. You need to by no means permit one factor to outline you. We're multifaceted folks, so that's one factor that I beloved about it. It was only a piece of his life. He’s only a man.”

On the finish of the season, Carlos learns that he’s been rejected by a movie faculty that he utilized to. HollywoodLife requested Tyler if this may dissuade Carlos or be the push he wants. “That’s a fantastic query for Vanessa Ramos. I don't know. However I really feel like there’s much more to develop in that space, I believe. I’m to see what’s to return within the subsequent season. How we cope with it as a result of I believe it’ll be I believe it’ll communicate to lots of people,” Tyler mentioned.
Tyler rose to fame within the Netflix comedy sequence American Vandal. If Blockbuster will get a second season, Tyler has one particular person from American Vandal he desires to see stroll into the video retailer.
“Griffin Gluck, duh. He was filming on the identical time that I used to be filming in Vancouver, and he stayed across the block from me. We frolicked day by day. It was like we had been filming once more collectively,” Tyler advised HollywoodLife. “It was the most effective. He was filming Merciless Summer time, the subsequent season. It was the most effective as a result of it was like attending to work with him but additionally not attending to work.”

As for what’s subsequent, Tyler has a brand new film popping out. However he actually has his eye on the stage. “I’m attempting proper now to discover a play. That’s what I actually need to do subsequent. I did a play in New York earlier than the pandemic at The Roundabout. It's the finest expertise in my inventive profession, in my life, ever. I really like theater a lot, and I didn't need to do theater as a child. Even rising up, I didn’t need to do theater as a result of I used to be afraid of it, which is why I didn’t need to do it. After which I noticed Dying of a Salesman closing evening with Philip Seymour Hoffman, a 12 months earlier than he died, and I used to be like, I've to do it. I did a play, and it was the most effective factor ever.
He continued, “It was about deportation. The mother will get deported to start with of the play, which spans over 8 years, and also you see the way it impacts everybody’s life within the household. My character is on the spectrum. I received to play him at 15, 18, and 22. He comes house from the battle in Afghanistan with extreme PTSD. It was probably the most enjoyable factor in my life to make a play expertise of it. I’m wanting ahead to that in New York, in fact. Or London could be nice, too.”