Julia Roberts: Being an actor is "not my only dream come true"

Julia Roberts at 54 is a gorgeous girl. She was Individuals journal's "Most Lovely Lady within the World" a document 5 occasions. However at Smyrna, Ga., Campbell Excessive College? Not even a runner-up.

After commencement, in 1985, she adopted her sister, Lisa, an aspiring actor, to New York Metropolis; their older brother, Eric Roberts, was already established. However performing wasn't her plan; she bought trainers.

"I used to be a fast lacer. I used to be actually good at lacing!" Roberts instructed "Sunday Morning" anchor Jane Pauley.

"And but, what occurred?"

"Effectively, I used to be strolling down the road – that is the reality …"

"This story begins with, "I used to be strolling down the road?" requested Pauley.

" … with my brother and his then-girlfriend, and handed somebody that they knew. And that particular person was a expertise agent."

julia-roberts-b.jpg
Actress Julia Roberts.

CBS Information

No extra promoting footwear! Julia Roberts was ready tables in ''Mystic Pizza," a low-budget movie that is turn into a cult traditional; and was the newcomer within the stellar forged of "Metal Magnolias."

However 1990 was a special story. An unlikely story made Roberts, who's by no means had an performing class, a star, after getting the a part of a drug-addicted prostitute who has a relationship with a really wealthy man. "The tip of the film was him stopping the automobile, opening the passenger door, principally pushing her out into the road, and driving away," Roberts stated.

"Good on you for getting that half!"

"Thanks!"

Fairly grim stuff! After which, the studio went bust. "I feel over the course of a weekend, I did not have a job. After which a couple of week later, they stated, 'Oh, the script was bought to Disney.'"

Disney? "Yeah. Proper?"

And with Garry Marshall, identified for household fare ("The Odd Couple," "Joyful Days"), directing. He did not see Roberts within the half, however as a courtesy he did see her.

Roberts recalled: "And he goes, 'What is the story with you? Some folks say you may't costume her up, some folks say you may't costume her down. I do not know what it's.' And I stated, 'I do not know what it's!'"

It was an ideal match, is what "Fairly Lady" was. And the costume is without doubt one of the most iconic in movies.

pretty-woman-richard-gere-julia-roberts.jpg
Richard Gere and Julia Roberts within the comedy "Fairly Lady." 

Touchstone Footage

In 2001, Roberts gained the perfect actress Academy Award for "Erin Brockovich" – and may need gained for greatest costume, too, sporting a classic Valentino. "It was a gorgeous costume that I attempted on the Saturday earlier than the Sunday of the Oscars for the primary time," Roberts stated. "We did not do something to it; it match completely."

And he or she put it away… "My daughter was digging via the closet in search of attainable promenade attire final spring, was, like, 'What's this costume?' I stated, 'Effectively, strive it on.' It was too massive for her, however she regarded so beautiful."

"Your daughter did not know that that was her mom's Oscar [dress]?" Pauley requested.

 "I do not suppose she did!"

3rd Annual Sean Penn & Friends HELP HAITI HOME Gala Benefiting J/P HRO Presented By Giorgio Armani - Inside
Danny Moder and Julia Roberts in Beverly Hills, California, 2014.

Kevin Mazur/Getty Photographs for J/P Haitian Aid Group

Roberts has three youngsters together with her husband of 20 years, Daniel Moder. "I all the time suppose that all of them seem like me, after which Danny comes house from work, and I'm going, 'Oh, you, that is who they seem like.'"

Moder is a cinematographer whose movie was premiering at Cannes final yr; he took their daughter. "She is a one-of-a-kind, that lady," stated Roberts. "We had been Facetiming truly proper earlier than they went out. And he or she was mendacity on the mattress, and I stated, 'What time is it? What are you guys doing?' She goes, 'Oh, Dad's, , simply placing his tie on. We're on the brink of go.' And I stated, 'Oh, are you prepared?' 'Yeah.' Like, she did not actually look able to me, , ponytail? And I used to be, like, 'Hmm, little eyeliner?' She was, like, 'I did not convey eyeliner, Mother, what are you talkin' about?' It is, like, 'Okay, yeah.' I imply, what eyeliner? (LAUGHS) I imply, who wants eyeliner? Simply Cannes! I imply, it is simply candy, simply the innocence. She's simply together with her dad. It isn't about anything."

The couple first met on the set of "The Mexican." Brad Pitt was her costar. 

Pauley stated, "I used to be watching figuring out that you simply would possibly at the moment been crushing on one of many guys behind the digicam."

 "I feel he and Brad had been crushing on one another," Roberts stated. "I felt like I used to be always interrupting their conversations. They might sit there and so they'd be speaking about music. And I would be, like, 'Oh, I like that track!'"

As we speak, she stated, her profession and household are each necessary, however not equally so. "It is simply by no means consumed me, being an actor," stated Roberts. "It's my dream come true. However it's not my solely dream come true."

 "What are the opposite goals?" requested Pauley.

"The life that I've constructed with my husband. The life that we have constructed with our kids. And that is the perfect stuff, to come back house on the finish of the day triumphantly to them."

For the primary time in 20 years, she's starring in a romantic comedy, subsequent week, reunited with longtime pal. George Clooney.

WEB EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Julia Roberts on George Clooney: "I really like being his foil"

"Ticket to Paradise" was shot on location in Australia. It was the longest she'd ever been away from her household. "Sixty-two days," Roberts stated. "I wrote plenty of letters."

"You might most likely have despatched emails fairly shortly?" stated Pauley.

"Yeah, however that is kinda boring, and they do not get the cool stamps," Roberts replied. "And it is one thing Danny and I've all the time accomplished. The primary letter he ever wrote me, which was seven pages lengthy, I nonetheless have it tucked away. At some point I will present it to Hazel and say, 'That is what you are in search of.'"

Adept in home arts, Roberts discovered tips on how to knit on a film set 30 years in the past.  "We referred to as it our lonely meters: 'How lonely had been you final evening?' And we would, like, pull out this a lot knitting. 'Look how lonely I used to be!'" she laughed. "And yeah, so I've been knitting ever since."

Pauley confirmed Roberts an instance of her personal knitting. "Ooh, you've got received slightly tight sew right here," stated Roberts. "That is how individuals are gonna discuss you – 'Are you aware what a decent knitter Jane Pauley is?'"

01-07-10-26.jpg
An A-Lister who writes letters, and knits.

CBS Information

Pauley requested, "You describe your self as a homemaker."

"After I'm not working, that's my full-time job.  And it is not, , rainbows and kittens every single day, but it surely does convey me plenty of pleasure."

"And do you do breakfast earlier than college?"

"I love breakfast, it is my favourite meal," Roberts stated. "My youthful boy, Henry, he is my breakfast accomplice."

"And am I proper in considering that Jane Pauley is perhaps standing in the way in which of you getting house to your loved ones? Since you've gotta get house, I presume, for breakfast within the morning for Henry?"

"Sure!" Roberts smiled. "We love our breakfast!"

To observe a trailer for "Ticket to Paradise" click on on the video participant beneath:

      
For more information:

     
Story produced by Mary Raffalli. Editor: Steven Tyler. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post