John David Washington: "To try to prove something to somebody is a fool's errand"

Actor John David Washington is making his Broadway debut as Boy Willie in August Wilson's "The Piano Lesson."

"Sunday Morning" contributor Kelefa Sanneh requested Washington, "While you lookup and also you see your title on the marquee, are you shocked, or are you used to it by now?"

"It makes me nervous each time," Washington laughed. "I am like, 'Oh, my God.' However additionally they see, like, my chain, that is my uncle's chain, my Uncle Woodson. I additionally really feel like part of my household is with me."

Some would say the 38-year-old was born to behave. His mother, Pauletta, is an actor. And so is his dad, a man named Denzel.  "My father, he walked me round these streets when he was preparing for Shakespeare within the Park, you already know, 'Richard III.' And I used to like when he would recite his strains."

john-david-washington-kelefa-sanneh-on-stage-the-piano-lesson-a.jpg
John David Washington ("The Piano Lesson") with "Sunday Morning" contributor Kelefa Sanneh on the stage of the Ethel Barrymore Theatre in New York Metropolis. 

CBS Information

At first, John David didn't observe in his father's footsteps. He went to Morehouse, the traditionally Black faculty in Atlanta, on a soccer scholarship. "What motivated it actually was independence, was my very own title, was with the ability to carry my very own weight in my life. Although I used to be hiding what I actually needed to do, it gave me an id."

"You have been hiding what you actually needed to do?" requested Sanneh.

"Due to whom I am associated to. My mom is a particularly proficient artist, and my father is likely one of the biggest of all time. He is my favourite actor. That was intimidating. Once we're within the comforts of my own residence and with the household, I felt comfy. However then once I get to the skin world, it did not appear as easy to simply pursue it; and I felt soccer would change that narrative after they noticed me play ball."

john-david-washington-interview-1280.jpg
Actor John David Washington.

CBS Information

It did not fairly work out that manner. "That is what I believed was gonna occur, till I learn the Atlanta Journal Structure," he stated. "I believe it was my freshman 12 months, and I had an important sport, and [they wrote], 'Denzel's son runs for as many yards and as many touchdowns.' I noticed then it was inescapable."

After faculty, he performed soccer in a start-up league, the UFL. Then, in 2013 he ruptured his Achilles tendon. He determined to make a profession change.

Sanneh requested, "How do you make that flip? Begin taking headshots?"

"I might advocate taking some good headshots!" he laughed. "Nevertheless it was an open-call audition for a narrative about soccer gamers."

Nonetheless injured and on ache treatment, he went to his first audition for a brand new HBO sequence referred to as "Ballers."  "The plan was get comfy with auditioning. get advised, 'No,' and to come back out right here to New York and examine," Washington stated.

Once more, it did not go as he'd anticipated. After a sequence of follow-up auditions, he obtained the a part of Ricky Jerret. "It was a life-changing second for me," he stated. "I felt good after, like, perhaps the fifth or sixth audition, like, 'I can do that.'"

Sanneh requested, "What did you find out about your self as you began to turn into knowledgeable actor?"

"I realized what happiness actually is," he replied.

He went on to star in "BlacKkKlansman," directed by Spike Lee; then "Tenet," directed by Christopher Nolan; and now, "Amsterdam," directed by David O. Russell. 

Sanneh requested, "You have labored with, you already know, legendary administrators; now, you are working with director who's identified you because you have been a child."

That is LaTanya Richardson Jackson, director of "The Piano Lesson," which co-stars her husband, Samuel L. Jackson. The Jacksons and the Washingtons are previous associates.  

"What's it like being on set with a partnership like that?" requested Sanneh.

"The eye's off me!" Washington laughed. "So, you sit again, and also you shut up and study one thing, John David!"

"So, does your co-star Samuel take course out of your director, LaTanya?"

"Properly, outline take course," he laughed. "I really feel like they communicate one other language within the subtext."

On the Yale Repertory Theater, 35 years in the past, Samuel L. Jackson originated the position Washington is enjoying on Broadway as we speak. "I am on stage, seeing Sam Jackson, and I am delivering some strains, figuring out he delivered these, you already know, in 1987. I am like, 'I can not imagine that is occurring.' So, yeah, I assume God is saying, 'Yeah. It is time. Simply develop up, you already know? Put up or shut up, man!'"

samuel-l-jackson-john-david-washington-the-piano-lesson.jpg
Samuel L. Jackson as Doaker Charles and John David Washington as Boy Willie within the revival of August Wilson's Pulitzer Prize-winning play, "The Piano Lesson."

"The Piano Lesson"

"Have your mother and father come to see the play?"

"My mom, it is just like the query is, what number of instances has she seen it?" Washington laughed. "And I get notes from them, too. I get notes."

However John David Washington says he is achieved making an attempt to show himself: "I've to know that I can have the very best sport, profession – the headline's all the time gonna be what it's. So, to attempt to show one thing to any person is a idiot's errand."

Sanneh requested, "Do you ever take into consideration that day occurring when individuals say, 'Oh, yeah, Denzel Washington. That is John David's dad'?"

"Naah," he sighed. "I do not see it as a actuality for me. He is bigger than life. So, no. I do not consider it that manner. I can not."

"Perhaps at some point, you may have a child and other people will say …"

"Proper. I hope so. I hope so!" he laughed.

     
For more information:

     
Story produced by Mary Raffalli. Editor: Mike Levine. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post