Serena Williams, 40, Announces She’s ‘Moving On’ From Tennis After U.S. Open To Expand Family


After an unbelievable profession and 23 Grand Slam wins, Serena Williams will formally be hanging up her tennis racket following the 2022 U.S. Open in September.

Serena Williams is retiring from tennis. The professional-athlete introduced her resolution in an essay for the September concern of Vogue, confirming that she plans on the U.S. Open being her final match. The choice got here amidst her and her husband, Alexis Ohanian’s, need to develop their household and provides their four-year-old daughter, Olympia Ohanian, a youthful sibling. Though Serena stated she “by no means just like the phrase retirement,” she revealed that she will probably be “transferring on” from her sport this fall.

“I’ve been considering of this as a transition, however I wish to be delicate about how I exploit that phrase, which suggests one thing very particular and necessary to a group of individuals,” she wrote. “Possibly the most effective phrase to explain what I’m as much as is evolution. I’m right here to inform you that I’m evolving away from tennis, towards different issues which can be necessary to me.” Along with her household, Serena now plans on focusing her consideration on her enterprise capital agency, Serena Ventures.

serena wililams
Serena Williams throughout a tennis match. (Mark Greenwood/IPS/Shutterstock)

Regardless of coming to phrases along with her resolution, Serena stated there's “no happiness” in speaking concerning the topic of retirement. “It’s the toughest factor I may ever think about,” she admitted. “I hate it. I hate that I've to be at this crossroads.”

All through her illustrious profession, Serena gained 23 Grand Slam titles, placing her two in need of beating Margaret Courtroom’s file of 24. Regardless of eager to beat that file, Serena appears to be like again on her profession proudly, noting how she gained considered one of her titles whereas two months pregnant, then performed after having a C-section and whereas she was breastfeeding and affected by postpartum despair. “Today, if I've to decide on between constructing my tennis resume and constructing my household, I select the latter,” she concluded.

serena williams
Serena Williams on the duvet of Vogue. (Luis Alberto Rodriguez)

Serena additionally revealed within the essay that she’s already spoken to her physician about increasing her household, and the dialog “put [her] thoughts comfortable and made [her] really feel that each time [they’re] prepared, [they] can add to [their] household.” First, although, she has another massive match in her: The 2022 U.S. Open. “I don’t know if I will probably be able to win New York, however I’m going to strive,” she stated. “And the lead-up tournaments will probably be enjoyable….I’m horrible at goodbyes, the world’s worst. However please know that I'm extra grateful for you than I can ever specific in phrases. You could have carried me to so many wins and so many trophies. I’m going to overlook that model of me, that lady who performed tennis. And I’m going to overlook you.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post