‘The Staircase’s Cullen Moss Breaks Down ‘Humanizing’ Jim Hardin In Powerful Scene


'The Staircase' star Cullen Moss spoke EXCLUSIVELY with HL about Jim Hardin's 'humanizing' second, working with Parker Posey, and Michael Peterson's response to the collection.

The Staircase was a gripping and poignant exploration of the demise of Kathleen Peterson and the influence the case had on the Peterson household. Outer Banks alum Cullen Moss performed Jim Hardin, the prosecutor within the Michael Peterson homicide trial. Jim and his associate, Freda Black, went to nice lengths to get justice for Kathleen.

Cullen, a North Carolina native himself, spoke EXCLUSIVELY with HollywoodLife a couple of delicate however highly effective second within the Emmy-nominated collection that gave perception into Jim Hardin. He additionally mentioned Parker Posey’s transformation into Freda Black and why he wasn’t stunned by Michael Peterson placing the collection on blast. Learn our Q&A under:

Cullen moss
Cullen Moss and Parker Posey on ‘The Staircase.’ (HBO Max)

I’m in North Carolina native, so I used to be properly conscious of the Michael Peterson saga earlier than the present.  I do know that you're an NC native as properly. How conscious have been you earlier than you took on the function of Jim?
Cullen Moss: I used to be pretty conscious. I bear in mind when all that was taking place I used to be in my early 20s dwelling in Wilmington, North Carolina, having come from Winston Salem. So it wasn’t as quick as once I was in Winston, however I positively bear in mind it all around the information. The owl, the home stuff stood out, however I didn't watch the documentary till I received the chance to learn for this function. So then I binged the documentary, a lot of Court docket TV, and interviews. This present definitely put it within the highlight.

There’s a scene in episode 3 when Jim is speaking to Freda in his workplace, and it’s a uncommon second of vulnerability for him the place he talks about shedding his brother and sisters in a home hearth. Particularly with courtroom dramas, we don’t normally see numerous backstory into the legal professionals. How did it really feel to shed some gentle on Jim and his motivation to get the place he's? 
Cullen Moss: I liked that chance as a result of if you’re enjoying these actual folks, you don’t need them to be two-dimensional. You need all of the nuance to be there. I had gotten the chance to talk with Jim at nice size. Parker and I each spoke with him for nearly two hours on a Zoom name. Parker set that up. She was so nice as a result of she didn’t have Freda to name upon, so we relied on perception from Jim and perception from a beautiful girl named Sweet who labored within the DA’s workplace and was buddies with Freda. Once I received to talk with Jim, I did get to see this very human facet of him and listen to concerning the very actual and trustworthy beginnings of what fueled him to grow to be a lawyer. There was no fake righteousness about it. It was from a really actual place of wanting to determine methods to serve his neighborhood. From the get-go, that was all about justice for Kathleen, for this girl who he felt was actually killed.

That chance was nice. It was additionally a possibility for Parker and me to type of humanize our relationship. That was just a little little bit of improv there firstly the place Jim asks about her ladies. She’s like, “I need to carry up one thing concerning the children are with Van,” She wished to indicate that she’s a mom with an ex-husband that she’s received to cope with, she’s drained, she’s received children that she loves. That was one other factor. It helped soften Freda, who we discovered was truly a extremely maternal girl outdoors of the courtroom and would carry banana bread for folks. So Parker and I type of got here up with that [moment], and it’s one among my favourite moments the place she mentioned, “Yeah, I advised her she needed to cease consuming a lot macaroni or her hair would get curly.” I mentioned, “I’ve by no means heard that earlier than.” She simply had this second that it didn’t hit me till I watched it that she mentioned “mmhm.” I used to be pondering, she’s exhausted. She’s already most likely had an airplane bottle or two, and I didn’t even give it some thought on the day. She was so delicate about that stuff. I used to be just a little trepidatious about that scene, too. As a result of we weren’t ready to make use of the siblings’ actual names, so I virtually didn’t need to say the names simply because that was the one time that I felt like I used to be not honoring Jim. It was like I used to be stepping out just a little bit, and I don’t know if that was a battle price I ought to have fought or not. However that’s one factor that stands out bizarre to me, however I’m so glad it was there. However the scene was very humanizing, and I believe it made Jim much less of a heavy.

Cullen Moss
Cullen Moss as Jim Hardin on ‘The Staircase.’ (HBO Max)

With the present and the documentary, folks have ideas on what actually occurred. The one two folks that know what actually occurred are Kathleen and Michael. Did you all the time view what occurred to Kathleen from Jim’s perspective? Did you ever permit your self to discover alternate theories? 
Cullen Moss: Once I first noticed the documentary, when that was my solely supply of knowledge except for what I gleaned in real-time when it was taking place, I used to be left actually not figuring out. I didn’t know. However then as I watched extra TV and simply in learn up extra about it, possibly I used to be pushed that approach due to the attitude that I needed to tackle as Jim. I grew to become increasingly more sure in myself of the opinion that he was responsible, that he did it. However being part of the present does make clear the chances. After they painting every scenario, it’s all so believable. You must resign your self to the truth that nobody will ever know. There’s no absolutism right here.

You're employed primarily alongside Parker. Her transformation into Freda Black is astounding. While you noticed her in character for the primary time, how did you react? 
Cullen Moss: She was so excellent. I get emotional as a result of I miss her. Once I first came upon she was going to be enjoying Freda was once we had our first desk learn on the Zoom name. I solely knew that Colin [Firth] and Toni [Collette] have been concerned. I believe possibly I simply came upon Michael Stuhlbarg was concerned. Stuhlbarg’s superb and I’m working with him now on Your Honor in New Orleans. That’s superb. We have been each in season 1 of The Staircase however by no means had any interactions. Our characters will cross paths this season.

So I see her sq. pop up on the Zoom name and I freaked out. I fanboyed. She’s the sh*t. I used to be like, who might she be enjoying? It’s received to be Freda. After which she launched herself and I used to be such a geek. I fist-pumped. I used to be clapping on Zoom. Thankfully, she laughed and was gracious about it and reciprocated. Once I noticed her in full make-up, it was overwhelming. It was transferring. The make-up and the angle, it was actually particular, man. There have been so many moments of issues changing into surreal on that present and simply feeling like, the place the hell am I? As a result of I used to be so accustomed to the story at this level. Within the courtroom, particularly if you go searching, you’re absolutely immersed. Everyone on the protection facet, too, was simply within the second. While you noticed the Peterson household: Dane [Dehaan], Patrick [Schwarzenegger], Odessa [Young], and Sophie [Turner]… They have been simply so superb and vibrant, after which simply the varied individuals who took the stand, you’re whisked into that world instantly, particularly Susan Pourfar, who performed Deborah Radisch.

Cullen Moss
Cullen Moss and Parker Posey as Jim Hardin and Freda Black. (HBO Max)

Michael Peterson clearly spoke out concerning the present after. Had been you stunned by his response?
Cullen Moss: No. I believe he likes to listen to himself. I believe he welcomed the chance to have a platform and have an opinion that was broadly heard. I wasn’t that stunned. I used to be just a little stunned at how disingenuous a few of it was, so far as saying that he didn’t know that this was happening. I imply, he did. He has each proper to really feel nonetheless he felt about it, however it’s a narrative. It’s gonna get advised. And simply the truth that he was saying I don’t care about myself. It’s my household. And Jean-Xavier for promoting him out and all the things. He had already offered out when he did the doc. So I used to be not stunned and I wasn’t stunned on the self-righteous indignation of all of it. It’s Michael Peterson and Michael Peterson is gonna Michael Peterson.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post