"I see this as two people": Pregnant woman cited for HOV lane ticket says unborn baby should count as second person

A pregnant Texas girl who was ticketed for driving in a high-occupancy car (HOV) lane says her unborn child ought to depend as a second particular person, citing the Supreme Court docket's current overturn of Roe v. Wade. Brandy Bottone advised CBS Information on Monday that she sees her incident as involving "two individuals" and plans to battle the ticket in courtroom. 

Bottone, who was 34 weeks pregnant on the time, was on her technique to decide up her 6-year-old son on June 29 when she pulled into the two-person HOV lane on the Central Expressway in Dallas. She was stopped at a checkpoint by a Dallas County sheriff's deputy, who requested the place her different passenger was. 

Bottone advised the Dallas Morning Information, which first reported the story, that "one officer type of brushed me off after I talked about it is a dwelling little one, in keeping with every thing that is happening with the overturning of Roe v. Wade. 'So I do not know why you are not seeing that,' I mentioned."

Bottone advised CBS Information that the deputy advised her the rule requires "two individuals or individuals exterior the physique" to be within the car.

Bottone mentioned she advised the deputy that she was "Not attempting to make a political stance right here, however you perceive that it is a child. It is 34 weeks alongside, and for certain, she's kicking and it is actual life."

The deputy responded "It's, what it's," in keeping with Bottone, after which left. A second deputy then walked over to her, advised her what she was being cited for, and printed out the $275 ticket, she mentioned. 

screen-shot-2022-07-11-at-7-21-10-pm.png
Brandy Bottone spoke to CBS Information about getting a ticket just lately after driving within the two-person HOV lane. Bottone, who's pregnant, mentioned she considers her child a second particular person. 

CBS Information

Bottone mentioned that the deputy advised her the ticket would "most likely get dismissed," which irritated her even additional. 

"I used to be like, wait, you are telling me that you simply simply wrote me a ticket for an HOV quotation, and also you're telling me that I can get it dismissed, however now ... I've to go to the courthouse, go battle it?" she mentioned. "And it is simply, now you are losing my time."

"I see this as two individuals," she added. "The indicators, when you drive downtown ... says HOV (2). And I used to be like one, two, we're checkmarked. We're good. And I suppose it simply did not fly that day." 

Bottone mentioned she had beforehand pushed in an HOV lane whereas pregnant along with her different two children, however this was the primary time she had been stopped. She additionally mentioned she used the HOV lane as a result of she feels the opposite lanes usually are not the "most secure" when site visitors is congested. 

"I used to be attempting to get safely to my vacation spot," she mentioned. "And I assumed there was two individuals in my automotive." 

The Texas penal code acknowledges an unborn little one as an individual, however the state's transportation code would not. Nonetheless, Bottone will problem the ticket and has employed authorized counsel. 

"We're gonna go subsequent Wednesday, pending I do not go into labor," she advised CBS Information. "So I actually hope I do not." 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post