Karen Duffy: How She Adapted Mindset To Battle Chronic Illness Through Letters To Son


Karen Duffy admitted she's 'much less fearful' and 'extra assured' after being recognized with sarcoidosis and deciding to write down her new e book 'Smart Up,' which is crammed with touching letters to her now 18-year-old son, in an EXCLUSIVE interview on the HollywoodLife podcast.

Karen Duffy, 59, is sharing how a painful illness led her to show to her love of writing and launch a e book that actually comes from her coronary heart, within the newest episode of The HollywoodLife Podcast. The previous MTV VJ and typically actress was recognized with sarcoidosis, which is the expansion of tiny collections of inflammatory cells in several elements of the physique, in line with the MayoClinic, at “a tremendous level” in her life, and due to the power ache it brought about, she might “not be insured for working as a movie actor.” As an alternative of letting the sudden problem trigger “optionally available struggling,” she discovered from “stoic philosophers” and have become impressed to write down her personal e book, Smart Up: Irreverent Enlightenment from a Mom Who’s Been By means of It, which is stuffed with loving letters of recommendation to her son, Jack, 18.

“I believe with the intention to be an ideal author, it's good to be an ideal reader, and I used to be dwelling with power ache. I didn’t need this to make me indignant, or imply,” she EXCLUSIVELY stated within the HollywoodLife podcast interview. “And what I’ve acknowledged that in life, ache is inevitable. We’re all going to expertise ache in life, however struggling is optionally available. That's underneath our management.”

Karen Duffy
Karen Duffy launched a e book on Apr. 12. (Kristina Bumphrey/Shutterstock)

“I can’t management the extent of ache that I will probably be in day by day, however what I can perceive is, that is my life,” she continued. “That is my day, how I spend it's as much as me. And so, even when I can’t exit or placed on garments, I can nonetheless make at the present time depend, as a result of that's nonetheless underneath our management. So hopefully Smart Up is a good introduction to individuals who perhaps don’t learn a number of philosophy or or are curious. I believe I actually tried to seek out the enjoyment in it.”

Karen then revealed that developing along with her personal stoic philosophy throughout her terrifying state of affairs filled with ache “completely” helped her by way of the brand new life she needed to face. “I simply really feel like this classical knowledge has dilated my soul,” she defined. “You understand, I believe that day by day is a chance the place we are able to get smarter and higher. And I simply really feel that simply studying philosophy and understanding that what's in our management is most necessary. And it’s made me stronger, and I'm much less fearful. And I'm extra assured.”

Karen Duffy, Jack
Karen Duffy and her son Jack when he was little. (SplashNews)

“One of many sayings is, ‘Write it it in your coronary heart, that day by day is the very best day of the yr,’ and ‘He who's wealthy who seizes the day,” she added. “Numerous philosophers are males, however the stoics have many ladies. Marcus Aurelius, who’s very well-known, begins off his most well-known e book, Meditations, thanking his mom for all the things she has shared with him and taught him. And so I really like that that is popping out proper round Mom’s Day too.”

Along with gushing over her favourite philosophers and her e book, which was launched on April 12, Karen instructed listeners how she’s capable of stick with implementing the philosophy she goes by in her life for the lengthy haul. “What’s so nice a few sensible philosophy is you can incorporate it into your life, and once more, I’m doing fashionable issues,” she stated. “Like after I go to the hospital, it’s difficult as a result of there's a actual energy differential between the medical doctors, you already know, they’re closed and also you’re bare. You’re giving blood, you’re giving samples, so it’s a really intimate and considerably humiliating place to be in.”

“So I assumed, effectively, I need to change the best way I really feel as a result of I’ve acquired to go to the medical doctors loads. So I simply began shopping for sweet necklaces by the majority, and I'd fill my bag with sweet necklaces,” she continued, whereas including the sweet is a part of her “not a sufferer” mentality. “And after I would get the cab to go to the hospital. I’d be like, to the cab driver, ‘Desire a sweet necklace?’, nobody has ever stated ‘no’ to a sweet necklace. And I'd then give it to the nurses after which abruptly it went from ‘Oh, there’s that girl who’s coming in for her biopsy’ to ‘Oh, that’s the crackpot with all of the sweet necklaces.'”

Karen’s full interview may be heard on the Could 2 episode of The HollywoodLife Podcast.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post