‘Euphoria’ Makeup Trendsetter Donni Davy on Launching Half Magic Beauty and New Motherhood

The glitter-and-glow knowledgeable's new line consists of rhinestone face gems, shimmer eye paint and lip liners.

Over its two seasons, the make-up on HBO’s hit teenage dramaEuphoria has grow to be a phenomenon. From the present’s iridescent eyeshadow to beneficiant quantities of glitter, make-up designer Doniella Davy has imbued the spirit of fantasy again into make-up on the coming-of-age sequence.

The 33-year-old artist now's embarking on a brand new cosmetics model known as Half Magic Magnificence, out there for buy as of Could 17. Generally known as Donni, the sweetness founder was raised in Venice, California and didn’t begin off desirous to be a make-up artist. However after receiving her images diploma from Pratt Institute, she was urged by a childhood buddy to start a profession in make-up.

Lazy loaded image
Half Magic Magnificence’s rhinestone Face Gems; $12, halfmagicbeauty.com.Half Magic Magnificence/A24

“I didn’t even put on a number of make-up rising up,” Davy, chatting over Zoom from her lounge in her L.A. residence, says. “I would like [Half Magic Beauty] to be so unintimidating, so user-friendly, so not a cool woman line — far more like, ‘be a part of us!'”

Whimsicality and practicality are ideas which can be embedded into the 10-product line. Half Magic Magnificence is meant to be a complete equipment for make-up artists who seek for high-quality formulation and for homeschooled magnificence fanatics. Launched in collaboration with A24, the make-up model is supposed to be accessible with gadgets priced from $12-$26.

The Chromaddiction Shimmer Eye Paint + Liner ($24) is available in 4 colours for creating glowy eyelids, whereas the three forms of rhinestone face gems (stable neon, iridescent sparkle, daring metallic, $12) can elevate the shine current in pure complexions and layer radiantly on pores and skin. The cast-favorite LipTrik Kits ($26) are available in two totally different pairings with a lip cream and liner — the earth-toned Magic Brownie + I’ll Pray For You/I Have Wants or the fluorescent-colored Angel Rave + Don’t Be Confused/Truthfully, Sure. The Half Magic Magnificence assortment additionally options tweezers for rhinestones, precision eyeliner brushes, a silicone information for eyeliner and extra.

The Hollywood Reporter talked with the pink-haired make-up visionary about her first magnificence model, how current motherhood has made her extra assured and what her favourite seems have been for Sydney Sweeney’s character Cassie in season two.

What brought on you to naturally gravitate in the direction of the transformative artwork and world of make-up?

My background is usually in visible artwork —  portray and drawing and images as properly. An excellent buddy who I’ve recognized since I used to be a child, her mother urged being a make-up artist for me and I assumed it sounded so cool —  the storytelling side of it.

I noticed doing make-up for movie and TV, is much more than simply make-up. It’s studying the scripts and making an attempt to boost the story. It's storytelling, however I'm primarily utilizing portray and drawing on folks’s faces.

Half Magic Beauty - Campaign Image - Publicity - 2022

In case you had been ready to return in time and attend Euphoria excessive or tackle your youthful self, which Half Magic magnificence product would you will have been carrying nonstop then? 

Largely, the shimmery Chromaddiction eye paints and the Glitter liner.

What was the method like creating your first make-up model?

I feel many make-up artists have these moments on a regular basis. They’re like: “Oh, if I ever had a model that is what I might need to do,” Or like: “I really like this product, however I want it layered very well with this different product.” We’re all the time excited about combining totally different merchandise from totally different strains and type of making our personal ultimate merchandise. So, I’ve had an ongoing little listing of the type of merchandise I might ever need to make if I ever had a line.

The primary merchandise that we’re launching are principally a system for layering glitter and shimmer on prime of daring colours. Half Magic Magnificence is supposed to have the ability to give folks these tremendous colourful eyes the place all of the merchandise are suitable. The glitter can layer on prime of this stunning sparkly layer and may have one thing to stay to. So I wished to create this method of substances that go properly collectively that can provide folks this look. I wished the consumer expertise and the net Euphoria make-up expertise to have the ability to have each bodily in your fingers.

How was creating make-up seems for Euphoria very totally different than the merchandise you're sharing in your line? 

It's humorous as a result of the Euphoria make-up has grow to be my life. I’m excited about that on a regular basis. Clearly, capturing was a nine-month course of for season two. I feel it was round eight months for season one. I get into this Euphoria world and I'm in there for some time and so the model was incubating and being put collectively properly earlier than season two. So I’m all the time type of in that make-up mindset now. Most experiences I've accomplished of ‘enjoyable make-up’ are on the set of Euphoria. I’m tremendous keyed in now to what I’m on the lookout for in merchandise — light-reflecting merchandise, the type of shimmer, the density of the shimmer, the pigments and the glitter and the way brilliant I would like it to be. For instance, if it’s a mid-tone blue, I do know I want to verify it’s brilliant sufficient in order that within the shadows it nonetheless exhibits onscreen as this stunning blue and doesn’t shift right into a black.

Lazy loaded image
Half Magic Magnificence’s Angel Rave LipKit, $26, halfmagicbeauty.com.Half Magic Magnificence/A24

What's the spirit behind the model’s title Half Magic Magnificence?

This line is all-embracing of pure pores and skin texture and this sense of realism, which type of comes into the title: Half Magic. The make-up is the magic. You're the remainder of the magic. You’re enjoying with daring colours and glitter and perhaps a fantasy-kind-of-makeup look, so to talk, it doesn’t imply, the look needs to be good by any means. It’s self-expression by make-up. It’s additionally a way of private evolution, it’s remedy.

Make-up can be utilized as a instrument to essentially determine stuff out about your self by making an attempt on alternative ways of being you. I wished to essentially hit this particular elevated stage of part-whimsical, part-practical and creating a spot the place make-up newbies and Euphoria make-up followers can mess around and benefit from the line.

What was one of many touchstones that you just actually wished to make apparent when shoppers expertise your merchandise?

You don’t need to have a complete assortment of make-up brushes. You don’t should be a professional in any respect. My fantasy is for this line to be anyone’s first make-up line that they ever play with. For the make-up professionals, I would like them to essentially respect the high-end formulation. I actually wished to guide with merchandise that I really feel are extra common and are geared in the direction of giving somebody who perhaps isn’t into carrying brighter colours. Giving them this elevated expertise to start out enjoying with magical, elevated make-up.

What's the go-to make-up instrument that you would be able to by no means go away the home with out?

I might have slightly dishevelled of additional rhinestones, simply in case they fall off. Lash glue, which I can glue rhinestones on with, however Half Magic Magnificence’s rhinestones have adhesive on the again of them. They’re medical-grade adhesive. Nonetheless, you by no means know if you happen to’re going to be by accident knocking one off.

What was your most memorable showstopper make-up second on the Euphoria season two set that comes immediately to thoughts?

Cassie [Sydney Sweeney] had a number of superior make-up moments that I cherished doing on her. What I cherished about her seems was you possibly can really feel her stress and nervousness. These feelings burned by her seems. She all the time had a slushy cheek look. Her lip shade was all the time across the exterior of her lips, trying type of like she was simply making out with Nate.

The season completely embodies what I’m all about and what my relationship with designing the make-up on Euphoria has been. It’s all about bringing the emotion into the glam so you possibly can actually really feel it burning by the glam. Cassie’s seems had been coming from a extra determined place to get consideration. My favourite look was when Cassie confirmed as much as faculty trying like Maddy, however with a wing with rhinestones on it.

Half Magic Beauty - Campaign Image - Publicity - 2022

What impression are you aiming for Half Magic Magnificence to have within the magnificence trade? 

Really offering all the make-up instruments in a single place. Making the expertise of utilizing make-up a type of embracing expertise, the place you create your personal fantasy, the place you possibly can attempt on totally different aspects of your personal character and simply really make make-up a really welcoming place. The merchandise are very wearable they usually present this elevated type of sparkle expertise. You're formally welcomed into this line with such fantastical packaging.

What in regards to the software of make-up that has been so particularly liberating for you as a brand new mother?

In a manner, I really feel like I’ve by no means felt extra myself as a brand new mother, and concurrently, I'm carrying extra enjoyable make-up seems. I began carrying extra enjoyable make-up and doing Euphoria make-up seems on myself throughout quarantine in 2020 after season one aired. I hadn’t actually used my very own face as a solution to discover seems. At the moment, I used to be type of exploring what I wished to do for season two. I labored out a number of concepts alone, alone face, and felt how therapeutic and uplifting the observe of doing that was for me.

I used to be type of in my very own non-public world at residence. I posted these seems on Instagram. There may be this fascinating half about this observe of carrying cool seems and simply doing them at residence and posting them on-line. It's just like carrying them out, however it feels much less scary than carrying them out. I type of fell in love with make-up much more and wished to essentially convey it into my private life. Then, having my child has undoubtedly made me have much less social nervousness. I really feel like I can simply be myself extra now.

Lazy loaded image
Half Magic Magnificence’s product lineupHalf Magic Magnificence/A24

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post