Jon Batiste on Grammy wins, being newly married and upcoming symphony premiere

Moments earlier than Jon Batiste accepted the Grammy for album of the 12 months, he was nonetheless fascinated with the efficiency he had 20 minutes prior.  

"We labored on this efficiency from Wednesday till that Sunday. As you noticed in that efficiency, I simply gave it all the things. So, I used to be sort of on this sedated state, the place I used to be like 'Okay, we've yet another award left. I am simply going to have an excellent time now,' after which they stated...I mainly was like, oh, I am nonetheless on. They stated we're and I believed, 'Oh, I've received to get again to the vibe,'" Batiste advised "CBS Mornings" in his first interview for the reason that  sixty fourth Annual Grammy Awards. 

He received 5 Grammys, together with album of the 12 months, probably the most prestigious award class. He stated the win felt surreal and was lots to course of.  

In his acceptance speech, he referred to as music a religious apply.  

"I did not know what else to say apart from to say what I stated was on my coronary heart in that second, and I feel there's lots of people on the market who a day later are writing into me and telling me these phrases... on that night time have been a mixture of so many individuals's experiences. So many artists on the market who have been placing it on the market and being rejected time and time once more, being themselves, simply to see, you could be your self and you'll win," he stated.  

The bandleader of "The Late Present with Stephen Colbert" introduced on "CBS Sunday Morning" that he and writer Suleika Jaouad have been secretly married in February. 

Jaouad just lately had a bone marrow transplant so the couple has not had time to have a good time their wedding ceremony—one thing Batiste appears to be like ahead to doing together with her as soon as she is more healthy.

"I am ready for the chance to have a trip and honeymoon as a result of we're in a little bit of a special, it is an uncommon state of affairs for newlyweds," he stated. 

Up subsequent for Batiste is the premiere of his "American Symphony" efficiency at Carnegie Corridor on Might 7. Batiste gave a preview of what to anticipate. 

"If a symphony orchestra was invented within the twenty first century, what music would they play? Who could be within the orchestra and the way would that look, how would that really feel?" he stated. "I'm excited to premier this. There's nothing I ever heard like this." 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post