How Trainer Magnus Lygdback Got Alexander Skarsgard in Shape for ‘The Northman’ With 1-Hour Workouts

The Swedish coach, who has labored with Harry Types, Britney Spears and Alicia Vikander, talks to THR about his pal and consumer: "He's probably the most hardworking, humble man."

Magnus Lygbäck doesn’t fiddle. The Swedish coach and nutritionist — credited with perfecting superhero-like physiques for star purchasers like Gal Gadot on Marvel Lady, Alicia Vikander on Tomb Raider and James McAvoy on Glass — has a laser-like focus within the health club with coaching plans that require most effort and minimal time. Few know that higher than Alexander Skarsgård as the guy Swede reteamed with Lygbäck for Robert Eggers’ Viking epic The Northman after first working collectively on the live-action Tarzan.

The Hollywood Reporter caught up with Lygbäck on Monday evening outdoors TCL Chinese language Theatre, website of the Focus Options premiere, to speak about why he limits exercise periods to 1-hour, his choice for “deal with meals” over cheat meals, and providing up Northman-inspired exercises on his app.

I learn that you simply’re all the time on set, watching screens to verify your work is translating. Do you usually do this for purchasers?

I all the time do this. It’s not regular, nevertheless it’s regular for me. I began doing that once I began with Alex again 2016 on Tarzan. That was my first massive Hollywood film and I did it again then and I nonetheless do each undertaking. I believe that’s why I’ve had plenty of success as properly as a result of it’s within the particulars. I've to ensure that he seems the half, ensure that he’s warmed up, pumped up, wanting on the monitor, ensuring that you simply obtained the precise depth within the again if it’s a close-up. It’s all within the particulars and motion teaching as properly.

Lazy loaded image
Alexander Skårsgard and his coach Magnus Lygdbäck sit back whereas filming Robert Eggers’ The Northman. Lygbäck tells THR that he prepped his star consumer for six months forward of filming (with some sudden added time on account of COVID-19).Courtesy of Aidan Monaghan /Focus Options

What's Alex like as a consumer?

I’m the primary one to say this and I say it on a regular basis: He's probably the most hardworking, humble man within the room. You may’t ask for higher. I knew once I obtained the decision [for The Northman] that this was going to be nice.

Everyone seems to be speaking about his traps …

That’s motion teaching. Truly, his traps aren't greater than anything on his physique; it’s simply the best way he positioned himself. It’s posture. I labored with James McAvoy for Glass and you would see the identical factor. He had the identical hunched-over, Hulky look. It’s all bodily manipulation and motion.

Lazy loaded image
Alexander Skarsgård is seen right here filming Robert Eggers’ The Northman.Courtesy of Focus Options
Lazy loaded image
Alexander Skarsgård in The NorthmanCourtesy of Aidan Monaghan/Focus Options

You’re a agency believer in permitting cheat meals and solely doing one hour of train every day. Why so?

I don’t wish to name them cheat meals. I wish to name them deal with meals as a result of it’s not dishonest if it’s good meals. Steadiness is life. It’s all the pieces.

Then what concerning the hour of train?

What doesn’t occur within the first hour, doesn’t occur within the second hour, I all the time say. Nobody can actually deal with greater than an hour within the health club. In the event you do, which means you’re not doing the precise issues. Whenever you hear about an actor prepping for a task, you hear them speaking about understanding for 4 or 5 hours a day. What they actually imply is all of the stunt work, all of the technical stuff, however precise bodily coaching, you can't do greater than an hour a day.

You talked about coaching Alexander for Tarzan as your first Hollywood undertaking. How has Hollywood modified your small business?

I’m standing right here speaking to you. For 21 years I’ve been doing this, and I’ve been working with the most important pop stars on the planet for a really very long time — the Katy Perry’s and the Britney Spears’ — however you don’t discuss it. Whenever you do film tasks, you really do press and discuss it. So, it’s modified all the pieces, clearly, and given me a platform.

Why don’t you discuss concerning the music stars?

I don’t discuss any consumer except there’s a purpose.

Let’s discuss one thing else — your app.

I've all my superhero applications on the app, the Marvel Lady, Tomb Raider, Batman, all of the tasks that I’ve been concerned with. I've a brand new, six-week Northman problem that I put collectively the best way Alex’s program would look. It’s a vitamin plan and a six-week problem, for each women and men.

That’s nice. Are you aware what’s subsequent?

I’m really working with Anya proper now. I’m prepping her for Furiosa. I met Anya on Glass, once I labored with James McAvoy, after which on The Northman once more. She’s beautiful, and he or she thought I used to be OK, too.

Final query: What’s your deal with meal?

Oh, how lengthy do you've? Pizza, burrata, steaks, dessert, tiramisu, a glass of wine. I really like meals. Meals and wine.

Interview edited for size and readability. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post