Brother of youngest Boston Marathon bombings victim finishes his first: "I did it for both of us"

Twenty-year-old Henry Richard was emotional as he accomplished the 2022 Boston Marathon on Monday. His brother, Martin, was eight when he was killed within the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013, CBS Boston experiences.  Martin was the youngest to die.

It was Henry's first Boston Marathon.

Henry's dad and mom and sister Jane have been there to satisfy him with hugs on the end line. "It meant the world to me that they have been right here ready," Henry stated.

Meb Keflezighi, the 2014 Boston Marathon winner, was there to offer Henry his medal.

"It is nice to get right here lastly. It has been years within the making for me so I am simply so completely happy I might lastly be right here," Henry stated. "I do know Martin would have been doing it with me — so completely happy to complete it, that is all I can take into consideration."

Runners cross the finish line of the 126th Boston Marathon in Boston
Henry Richard, the brother of 2013 Boston Marathon bombing sufferer Martin Richard, is hugged by his household after ending the 126th Boston Marathon in Boston on April 18, 2022.

FAITH NINIVAGGI / REUTERS

"I did it for each of us, and my sister and the remainder of my household," he continued.

Henry stated he plans to run the marathon once more.

"I really like this metropolis and I could not be extra grateful to them and every part they've completed for me," Henry stated. "It doesn't matter what occurs, you have to preserve combating -- you may get to the place you need to go."

Henry ran with Staff MR8, to boost cash for the Martin Richard Basis, which promotes inclusion, kindness, and peace in Martin's legacy.

Keflezighi ran the Boston Marathon for Staff MR8 in 2018 after retiring from aggressive racing. "Martin is at all times on my thoughts," Keflezighi stated. "For Henry to return in right here, what a braveness. What a braveness, what a power."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post