Will Smith on forgiving his father, thoughts of suicide, and "King Richard"

Academy Award-nominee Will Smith talks with CBS Information' Gayle King about his childhood, ideas of suicide, forgiving his father, his movie "King Richard," and extra in a revealing, emotional interview  for "CBS Sunday Morning," to be broadcast March 13 on CBS and streamed on Paramount+.

Smith, 53, is a worldwide famous person who sells thousands and thousands of albums and toplines blockbuster movies. In his e book, "Will," Smith tells his life story, warts and all, together with the impression on him of seeing his father beat his mom, when he was simply 9 years previous.

"And I did not do something," Smith mentioned.

"However as slightly boy, Will, what are you purported to do?" King requested.

"The kid thoughts would not work like that," he replied. "I anticipated to be a superhero."

Click on on the video participant to look at a preview clip: 

Smith informed King, co-host of "CBS Mornings," that when his dad and mom separated, he thought of taking his personal life.

"That was the, the one time in my life that I thought of suicide," he mentioned. "And, you recognize … it simply was, it was my fault. You realize, I do not know the way youngsters try this … of their thoughts, however you recognize, it was, it was by some means my fault."

Smith mentioned he made peace together with his father when his dad was dying in 2016. "And you recognize, in that, in these final moments with my father – once I was capable of forgive my father – I had a surprising realization that I used to be capable of forgive myself … my father dying began a brand new part of my life," Smith mentioned.

He additionally says his struggling helped make him the person he's right this moment: "I thank God for my struggling, you recognize? My struggling helped me to turn into who I'm. My struggling helped me to construct the life and the household and helped me to seek out the reality that I base my life on right this moment." 

In a wide-ranging interview, Smith additionally talked with King about his work on "The Recent Prince of Bel-Air"; his Oscar-nominated movie, "King Richard"; his marriage to Jada Pinkett Smith; and what he'd love to do subsequent.

The Emmy Award-winning "Sunday Morning" is broadcast on CBS Sundays starting at 9 a.m. ET. "Sunday Morning" additionally streams on the CBS Information app [beginning at 10:30 a.m. ET] and on Paramount+, and is out there on cbs.com and cbsnews.com.

Be sure you comply with us at cbssundaymorning.com, and on TwitterFbInstagramYouTube and TikTok.

     
For more information:

  • "King Richard" now enjoying in theatres and obtainable On Demand
  • "Will" by Will Smith with Mark Manson (Penguin), in Hardcover, Giant Print Commerce Paperback, Spanish Commerce Paperback, eBook and Audio codecs, obtainable through Amazon and Indiebound
  • Comply with Will Smith on Twitter and Instagram

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post