Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir stayed silent as ROC skater Kamila Valieva positioned first in her quick program. The duo are amongst many U.S. athletes outraged about Kamila’s doping scandal.
Russian Olympics Committee determine skater Kamila Valieva‘s doping scandal hasn’t sat nicely with many former U.S. Olympic skaters, together with Tara Lipinski, 39, and Johnny Weir, 37. The duo, who've been working as Beijing Winter Olympics commentators for NBC Sports activities, addressed the controversy surrounding the 15-year-old when she carried out her quick program on Tuesday, Feb. 15. As Kamila earned the highest rating of the day (82.16), after which teared up after her skate, Tara and Johnny remained fully silent to protest the Courtroom of Arbitration for Sports activities’ resolution to let Kamila compete.
Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir weigh in on Kamila Valiyeva's quick program. pic.twitter.com/LdjY4LQOvv
— NBC Olympics (@NBCOlympics) February 16, 2022
“All I really feel I can say is that was the quick program of Kamila Valieva on the Olympics,” Johnny stated to interrupt the silence. Tara, who equally didn’t converse till Kamila’s skate was achieved, then chimed in to say, “She had a optimistic check. We should always not have seen this skate.” Tara continued, “I don’t know what number of occasions over the previous yr that I’ve stated she is one of the best determine skater I’ve ever seen. And simply saying that not solely makes me confused, it makes me offended and disoriented by every little thing I assumed that I knew.”
The pair additionally addressed the controversy whereas Kamila was warming up for her skate. “To be trustworthy, I nearly don’t imagine what I’m seeing,” Tara advised her co-host. “Seeing her on Olympic ice proper now with every little thing we’ve found over the past week. I didn't assume this was going to occur and I don’t assume it must be occurring.”

Former Olympians Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir condemn the choice to permit Russian skater Kamila Valieva to compete following a failed drug check.
“It is a slap within the face to the Olympic Video games, to our sport, and to each athlete that’s ever competed on the Olympics clear.” pic.twitter.com/tnn8WcPzf4
— The Recount (@therecount) February 14, 2022
Different former U.S. determine skaters like Adam Rippon and Mirai Nagasu have equally expressed outrage that Kamila’s nonetheless competing in Beijing. Adam merely tweeted “shame” after Kamila’s quick program. American monitor and discipline star Sha’Carri Richardson, 21, has arduous emotions in regards to the scandal as nicely, contemplating she was banned from the Tokyo Olympics final yr for marijuana use. “The one distinction I see is I’m a black younger girl,” Sha’Carri stated on Twitter when evaluating her Kamila’s conditions.
Kamila examined optimistic for the banned substance Trimetazidine on Feb. 8, the day after she gained a gold medal in staff determine skating. Nonetheless, the CAS determined days later the Kamila may proceed within the Olympics as a result of her age makes her a “protected particular person.” She returned to the skating rink for Tuesday’s quick program.
As a result of controversy, the Worldwide Olympic Committee (IOC) stated in an announcement that Kamila, who's favored to win gold within the Ladies’s Singles ice skating, gained’t get a medal ceremony if she secures a spot on the rostrum.