‘Tall Girl 2’s Ava Michelle On Jodi & Dunk’s ‘Beautiful’ Ending Moment & A Third Movie

Ava Michelle returns as Jodi within the highly-anticipated ‘Tall Woman 2.’ HL spoke EXCLUSIVELY with Ava about Jodi overcoming new insecurities, the Jodi and Dunk scenario, and being a job mannequin at 19.

When Tall Woman was launched in 2019, it grew to become an instantaneous sensation and made a star out of Ava Michelle. Jodi Kreyman’s journey continues in Netflix’s follow-up Tall Woman 2. This time round, Jodi confronts extra of her insecurities and rises above to proceed being her genuine self.

The sequel options quite a lot of twists, together with Jodi and Dunkleman’s breakup. Nonetheless, these two lovebirds do discover their approach again to one another in the long run and say all of the issues they’ve wished to say. Ava broke down all issues Tall Woman 2 in our EXCLUSIVE interview. From the Jodi and Dunk breakup to Jodi’s Bye Bye Birdie debut to a 3rd film, we’re discussing all of it. Learn our Q&A under:

Ava Michelle
Ava Michelle as Jodi in ‘Tall Woman 2.’ (Netflix)

Did you ever suppose if you made the primary one that individuals would reply to it a lot and that there could be a requirement for the sequel?
Ava Michelle: No, under no circumstances. I used to be simply targeted on that one film that I lastly booked and simply making that one the perfect I may. After which when it got here out, actually, the response I believe shocked everybody on how nicely it did, particularly me. After which after how good it was doing, there have been some talks about it, which was simply so thrilling. I imply, for me, the considered persevering with this journey and making one other film simply basically is so thrilling. So the truth that it nonetheless occurred after the pandemic and all the things was surprising, and I used to be very blissful that it did.

Jodi went by way of one journey within the first film and nearly a totally completely different one within the second. How did you're feeling exploring much more of Jodi’s insecurities and diving actually deep into that? I really feel like all of us have a voice in our head identical to that.
Ava Michelle: It’s such a common factor for us to all relate to. I believe the primary film actually offers with the skin forces that let you know you’re not sufficient and make you insecure to these bullies and people different individuals in your life who don’t really help you after which overcoming that. Now Jody is okay with that. She’s assured and he or she’s advised everybody how she is. I believe that the more severe bully is the one in your head that simply form of creeps in, and he or she has to determine the right way to take care of it. I believe realistically, that’s at all times going to be there for all of us. The essential factor is simply determining the right way to take care of it and the right way to fight these ideas with constructive ones and ones which are reassuring of who you're.

I really feel like that nagging nervousness, that voice in your shoulder, such as you stated, actually will be worse.
Ava Michelle: I believe it's as a result of there’s part of you that you simply belief your self and also you worth what you consider your self. Different individuals you may form of take with a grain of salt as a result of they don’t know you, however you. So that you saying these issues about your self will get slightly complicated. I believe it’s tougher for us to take and to take care of. You'll be able to’t actually escape that so yeah. I perceive why Jodi needed to take care of the nervousness. I believe whether or not it turns into an assault or not, all of us have these emotions of simply when all the things simply is piling you down on us, and there are such a lot of issues happening the place we don’t know what to do.

Ava Michelle
Ava Michelle and Jan Luis Castellanos in ‘Tall Woman 2.’ (Netflix)

Was there ever some extent if you have been filming the place you felt a way of deja vu like that is precisely what I felt at a sure level or how I’m feeling now in your actual life? Did you and Jodi’s lives intersect? 
Ava Michelle: I swear the author follows me round day by day as a result of after I learn the primary one, I used to be like, that is my life. That is loopy. I believe I truly stated that at my audition, and I didn’t understand they have been recording me. So a part of my audition tape was me being like, I believe the author’s stalking me. That is loopy. However the first one I believe matched my emotional journey as nicely. Jodi is coming into one thing that she’s attempting to show herself and outline herself and discover her self-confidence, and he or she lastly does it. In order that for me was the film popping out as a result of I didn’t really consider in myself till that truly got here out and other people truly preferred it. I believe coming into the second identical to Jodi, you’re form of on a excessive. Lots of people are wanting as much as you, they know what you’ve finished, and so they know the place you’ve come [from], and he or she has loads of strain. That’s form of how I used to be feeling as nicely and simply attempting to make this a distinct movie but additionally pretty much as good as the primary one or to stay as much as individuals’s expectations.

There are a few new characters within the sequel like Tommy. Earlier than you noticed the entire script, did you suppose Tommy may make a play for Jodi? 
Ava Michelle: I believe he and Jodi have artwork in widespread, which is actually fascinating. It’s form of like Stieg, they bonded over music. They’re bonding whereas they’re in rehearsals collectively, so for a second I used to be like, “That is cute.” However there’s simply one thing so lovely about her and Dunk of their relationship and their friendship. Griffin [Gluck] and I, we've an excellent friendship. I believe it’s like constructing on that makes such a powerful relationship. I believe that’s why all of us love that's as a result of they actually simply really love one another for who they're.

Have been you stunned by Jodi and Dunk’s breakup at the start of the film?
Ava Michelle: It was so unhappy. It was simply so horrible. It’s probably the most irritating factor as a result of we’re watching this, and we all know they each don’t need to break up. We all know that that is simply because they don’t know what to do. They don’t know the right way to talk. There’s a lot happening for each of them, and so they don’t know the right way to come to one another and simply say, “That is how I’m feeling.” Actually, all of us do this. It’s exhausting. Generally we attempt to keep away from it, and we attempt to be robust and act like we’re preventing for the opposite, after which it simply all crumbles. I believe that’s what occurred. In order a viewer and even studying that and seeing that they went by way of that's troublesome.

There are such a lot of issues I beloved concerning the sequel, however I beloved Jodi and Dunk’s massive “I like you” second? What did that imply to you as somebody who performs have of this couple? To see them get to this second after so many struggles? 
Ava Michelle: It’s such a wonderful second. I bear in mind studying the script, and I’m like, “Lastly.” As a result of they do [love each other]. One thing that’s actually lovely about that scene is there may be that second between when he says it, and when Jodi says it. And it’s identical to, in between that second, he’s freaking out. He’s simply being Dunkleman. I believe they each simply understand that they honestly simply love one another due to their loopy little issues which are about them. It’s such a wonderful second. That occurred to me this yr, too. I had my first “I like you” with a boyfriend. It’s so highly effective, and I believe at this age, it’s very actual and true. We are attempting to guard ourselves and never say it. It’s such a weak factor, and it was simply wonderful to painting that of their journey.

Jodi will get the lead in Bye Bye Birdie, which is such an iconic musical. How did you're feeling performing,  particularly that opening quantity?
Ava Michelle: It was wonderful. Actually, these have been a few of my favourite days filming “One Boy”. I imply, it was only a surreal expertise with the ability to act in a movie but additionally go to bounce rehearsals as a result of dance is the place I got here from. I used to be at all times on the opposite aspect of it. I used to be at all times the dancer within the movie or the dancer in one thing, so with the ability to have these roles form of flipped and bringing that artwork type was simply so wonderful. I beloved it a lot. Additionally, I’ve by no means finished theater or any kind of faculty something. Tall Woman is my highschool expertise. It’s been fairly nice. I booked the lead within the faculty musical. I get pleasure from my Tall Woman highschool.

Ava Michelle
Ava Michelle and Griffin Gluck in ‘Tall Woman 2.’ (Netflix)

Are you hoping for a Tall Woman 3? 
Ava Michelle: They should graduate. I imply, come on., we have to know in the event that they’re collectively. I believe it might be nice. I believe we must always do it. I'd find it irresistible. However we’ll see. We’ll see.

That’s a complete different story, Jodi going off to varsity and experiencing a complete new group of people that perhaps embrace her mechanically. That may very well be actually fascinating as a result of school is such a complete new world.
Ava Michelle: It’s a complete completely different dynamic. It’s additionally determining what to pursue, and what you’re going to do along with your life and being by yourself. In highschool, we've the luxuries of actually counting on our household and our mates that we’ve grown up with since our childhood. So I believe that may be a extremely enjoyable factor to discover, all the newness of that and perhaps restarting. However I don’t know, I’m not the author. I’m certain Sam [Wolfson] goes to do one thing that aligns with my life approach an excessive amount of.

For the reason that first film got here out, it’s had such an unimaginable response. As somebody who's so younger however is such a job mannequin, what has it been like managing that function that you're to so many younger ladies?
Ava Michelle: I’m, to begin with, so, so grateful for it and so grateful that the film meant one thing to individuals. I believe that's the best honor to be part of one thing like that. But in addition there was some extent the place I actually freaked out slightly bit about followers. I additionally simply suppose it’s such an enormous duty if you carry that energy. I believe that typically it may be taken with no consideration, the affect that we actually do have on individuals and have on the youth. So for me, it’s actually essential to be as sincere as I can and painting actual issues on social media as a lot as doable. Whether or not that’s simply answering some DMs each occasionally of recommendation that individuals are asking, or simply random issues that I’m posting, I believe it comes with an enormous duty, and I hope that I'm doing nicely with all of it.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post