Earlier than the deadly shark assault at Sydney's Little Bay Seaside yesterday, actress Marcia Hathaway was the final particular person to be killed by a shark within the metropolis in 1963.
The well-known Sydney actress was fatally mauled by a bull shark in Center Harbour on January 28, 1963, after leaping off a ship on the clear 30C day, 59 years in the past.
Ms Hathaway, 32, was standing within the murky water solely 30 inches deep and about six metres from the shore in Sugarloaf Bay when she was attacked.
The 32-year-old advised her fiance: "I'm not in ache. Don't be concerned about me, expensive. God will take care of me" seconds earlier than she died, as her mates tried to hurry her to hospital.
The lady, who lived in Greenaway Flats at Milson's Level, had been on a picnic and boating with six mates on the time.
Her fiance, Frederick Knight, fought the shark along with his arms and toes, wrestling with it because it tried to tug Ms Hathaway into the water.
"We had been swimming about in shallow water and I bear in mind telling Marcia to not exit too far," he advised the Sydney Morning Herald on the time.
"Then I heard her scream. She stated she thought she had been attacked by an octopus.
"I went to her and tried to tug her from the shark. It appeared like 10 minutes to me whereas we struggled, but it surely might solely have been a few minutes."
The shark nearly tore off the lady's leg and he or she died 20 minutes later from her vital accidents.
An ambulance arrived, however due to the steep hill main as much as the water's edge and the slippery floor, the clutch of the ambulance burnt out, which led to about 30 folks desperately attempting to push the automobile up the hill.
"The water was stained with blood and I by no means thought I might get her away from it. I believe at one stage I had my foot in its mouth. It felt mushy and spongy," Mr Knight stated.
"I am not too clear what occurred. It occurred so quick and I couldn't see a lot within the water.
"I attempted to reassure Marcia and advised her that the shark had simply brushed previous her.
"However she knew a short while after that she was dying."
Ms Hathaway's fiance and two different mates have been later handled on the Mater Misericordia Hospital for shock.
There have been 12 shark assaults recorded in Australia in 2021, three of these being deadly.
Yesterday's shark assault has shocked Sydney after human stays have been discovered about 4.30pm at Little Bay Seaside close to Malabar.