Katie Couric Insists Many Ignored ‘Inappropriate Behavior’ At CNN After Jeff Zucker Resigns

Katie Couric, who beforehand labored with each Jeff Zucker and Allison Gollust, mentioned the ‘nature of their relationship’ made her ‘uncomfortable.’

UPDATE 2/15/2022: Allison Gollust is stepping down from her place as Chief Advertising Officer for CNN, the community introduced on Feb. 15. Jason Kilar, the CEO of the community’s dad or mum firm WarnerMedia, made the announcement of Allison’s resignation in a memo to the employees.

“Earlier immediately, Allison Gollust resigned from CNN following the conclusion of the Firm’s investigation into points related to Chris Cuomo and former Governor Andrew Cuomo,” the memo learn. “Based mostly on interviews of greater than 40 people and a overview of over 100,000 texts and emails, the investigation discovered violations of Firm insurance policies, together with CNN’s Information Requirements and Practices, by Jeff Zucker, Allison Gollust and Chris Cuomo.”

Jason went on to say that the “complete and definitive” investigation was “carried out by a third-party regulation agency and led by a former federal choose” starting in Sept. 2021 and concluding this weekend.

“I notice this information is troubling, disappointing, and albeit, painful to learn. These are legitimate emotions a lot of you will have,” Jason continued to jot down. “We've the very best requirements of journalistic integrity at CNN, and people guidelines should apply to everybody equally.”

He additionally famous that he believed “we now have taken the suitable actions” and requested that each one workers “decide to the very important mission we share and the values that outline us.”

Shortly after her resignation was introduced, Allison gave an announcement to PEOPLE and referred to as WarnerMedia’s assertion “an try to retaliate towards me and alter the media narrative within the wake of their disastrous dealing with of the final two weeks.”

“It's deeply disappointing that after spending the previous 9 years defending and upholding CNN’s highest requirements of journalistic integrity, I'd be handled this fashion as I depart,” she continued. “However I accomplish that with my head held excessive, realizing that I gave my coronary heart and soul to working with the best journalists on the planet.”

ORIGINAL:

Katie Couric is talking out after her former producer, Jeff Zucker, resigned because the president of CNN Worldwide. Zucker, who held the place for 9 years, introduced he was stepping down on Wednesday (February 2) for not disclosing his relationship with CNN colleague, Allison Gollust. The following day, Couric shared an announcement by means of Katie Couric Media, saying many within the business “turned a blind eye to inappropriate habits” between the Zucker and Gollust.

Katie Couric
Katie Couric spoke out after her former producer Jeff Zucker resigned from CNN over an undisclosed relationship with a colleague. (MediaPunch/Shutterstock)

“I labored with Jeff Zucker for a few years at NBC and in a while my discuss present. He was a gifted and energetic producer,” Couric’s assertion learn. “I’ve additionally identified Allison Gollust since my days on theTODAY present. I’ve puzzled concerning the nature of their relationship, however I do know, as I wrote in my memoir Going There, that it made me uncomfortable. It appears their colleagues and the media at massive turned a blind eye to inappropriate habits.”

In her October 2021 memoir, Going There, Couric went into element how Zucker, after he was appointed govt producer of her daytime discuss present Katie, pushed for Gollust to supervise publicity on the present.  “They have been joined on the hip,” Couric wrote. “The issue was, we’d already employed a PR particular person for the present. Jeff requested me to fulfill along with her anyway.” Couric mentioned she questioned Zucker’s motives on the time. “[Allison] and her husband and children had moved into the house proper above Jeff and Caryn’s [Zucker’s now ex-wife] — everybody who heard concerning the cozy association thought it was super-strange. By that time, Caryn had grow to be a detailed buddy and it made me actually uncomfortable.”

Jeff Zucker
Jeff Zucker mentioned he resigned for not disclosing his relationship with CNN colleague, Allison Gollust. (Erik Pendzich/Shutterstock)

Zucker’s memo to CNN workers concerning his resignation mentioned the choice got here following the investigation into CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, who was accused of aiding his brother Andrew Cuomo together with his sexual misconduct protection. “As a part of the investigation into Chris Cuomo’s tenure at CNN, I used to be requested a couple of consensual relationship with my closest colleague, somebody I've labored with for greater than 20 years,” Zucker wrote. “I acknowledged the connection advanced lately. I used to be required to reveal it when it started however I didn’t. I used to be incorrect. Consequently, I'm resigning immediately.”

In a separate memo to workers, Gollust admitted her involvement. “Jeff and I've been shut associates and professional companions for over 20 years,” she wrote. “Just lately, our relationship modified throughout COVID. I remorse that we didn’t disclose it on the proper time. I’m extremely happy with my time at CNN and stay up for persevering with the good work we do on a regular basis.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post