World War II soldier's letter to mother delivered 76 years after it was sent

A letter despatched from an American soldier to his mom in Massachusetts has been delivered 76 years after it was despatched, CBS Boston experiences. Military Sgt. John Gonsalves, 22 on the time, wrote to his mom in Woburn whereas he was stationed in Germany on December 6,1945, after the official finish of WWII.

The letter would sit unopened for 3 quarters of a century earlier than being found in a U.S. Postal Service distribution facility in Pittsburgh.

dear-mom.jpg
Military Sgt. John Gonsalves, 22 on the time, wrote to his mom after the official finish of WWII,

CBS Boston

"Pricey, Mother. Acquired one other letter from you right this moment and was completely satisfied to listen to that all the pieces is okay," the letter reads. "As for myself, I am tremendous and getting alongside okay. However so far as the meals it is fairly awful more often than not."

He signed the letter: "Love and kisses, Your son Johnny. I will be seeing you quickly, I hope."

Gonsalves died in 2015. His mom has died as nicely. However the USPS discovered an handle for his widow, Angelina, whom the soldier met 5 years after he despatched the letter.

"I cherished him dearly and he was fairly a man. I nonetheless really feel his presence, I actually do," Angelina Gonsalves, 89, informed CBS Boston.

ww2.jpg
Angelina Gonsalves reads letter written by husband in 1945.

WBZ-TV

Alongside the decades-old mail, USPS staff additionally despatched a letter of their very own, saying "delivering this letter was of utmost significance to us."

After the Gonsalves household acquired the letter, they known as the ability and thanked them.

"I adore it. I adore it. Once I assume it is all his phrases, I can not imagine it. It is fantastic. And I really feel like I've him right here with me, you understand?" Angelina Gonsalves informed CBS Boston

Angelina Gonsalves mentioned the vacation timing of the letter's arrival was particularly poignant. "It was only a humorous feeling, he was round us at Christmas time. Considered one of his favourite occasions of the 12 months," she informed CBS Boston.

The Related Press contributed to this report.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post